The Mascara Barb, known scientifically as Dawkinsia assimilis, is a visually striking and active freshwater fish. It's highly prized for its distinctive black markings around the eyes, resembling mascara, and the vibrant coloration of its body. This species is an excellent choice for aquarists seeking a lively and colorful addition to their community aquariums.
- Distinctive black eye markings, giving it the common name 'Mascara Barb'
- Bright, iridescent body colors that can range from gold to deep reds and oranges
- Active schooling fish, adding dynamism to the aquarium
- Suitable for medium to large-sized tanks with ample swimming space
- Tank Size: Minimum 30 gallons, best kept in groups
- Water Parameters: pH 6.0-7.5, soft to moderately hard water
- Temperature: 22-26°C (72-79°F)
- Diet: Omnivorous; enjoys a variety of foods including flakes, pellets, and live/frozen options
- Compatibility: Best with other peaceful to semi-aggressive species of similar size