Tiger Barb (Puntigrus tetrazona)
The Tiger Barb is a vibrant and lively freshwater fish known for its bold stripes and playful behavior. It is a popular choice for many aquarists due to its hardiness and distinctive appearance.
- Vivid black and yellow striping
- Active and spirited schooling fish
- Adaptable to a wide range of water conditions
- Best kept in groups to minimize fin-nipping behavior
Tiger Barbs thrive in well-filtered aquariums with ample swimming space. They are best housed in groups of six or more to prevent fin-nipping of other species. They enjoy a variety of foods and benefit from the inclusion of live plants and hiding places in their environment.
- Scientific Name: Puntigrus tetrazona
- Temperature: 22 - 27°C (72 - 81°F)
- pH Level: 6.0 - 7.0
- Water Hardness: 5 - 19 dGH
- Size: Up to 7 cm (2.75 inches)
- Diet: Omnivorous - requires a mix of plant and protein-based foods
- Tank Size: Minimum 20 gallons
- Temperament: Semi-aggressive, especially if not in a proper school
- Compatibility: Best kept with similarly sized and tempered fish