The Red Ranchu boasts a vibrant, crimson hue that instantly captivates the eye. This breed is revered in the realm of ornamental fish for its unique lion-like appearance and stately swimming demeanor. Its round body and absence of a dorsal fin are distinctive traits that contribute to its popularity among both novice and experienced fish enthusiasts.
- Elegant, curved body shape without a dorsal fin
- Rich, saturated red coloring that adds a pop of color to any tank
- Gentle and sociable, thriving in calm aquatic environments
- Relatively easy to care for, making them suitable for a wide range of hobbyists
Red Ranchu goldfish require clean, well-oxygenated water and a spacious tank to accommodate their rounded bodies. They are prone to buoyancy issues, so a diet of high-quality, varied foods with regular feeding times is important. Sinking pellets are often recommended to avoid air intake during feeding, which can exacerbate these issues.
- Scientific Name: Carassius auratus var. Ranchu
- Preferred Temperature: 16-24°C (60-75°F)
- pH: 6.0-8.0
- Size: Up to 8 inches (20 cm)
- Diet: Omnivorous
- Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons for a pair
- Temperament: Peaceful and social
Given their distinct body shape, Red Ranchu are not adept swimmers and do best in tanks without strong currents. Their environment should be furnished with smooth-edged decorations to prevent injuries, and care should be taken to maintain excellent water conditions to prevent common goldfish ailments.