The Red Oranda is a vibrant and popular goldfish breed admired for its bright red coloration and characteristic cap or 'wen.' This goldfish variety is prized for its round, plump body and the graceful, flowing fins that accompany it, making it a captivating presence in any freshwater tank or pond.
- Lustrous, deep red coloration covering the entire body
- Distinctive, fleshy wen that starts developing at a few months old
- Round, stout body shape with long, flowing fins
- Recognized for their friendly and interactive nature
Red Orandas need spacious tanks with pristine water conditions as their wens are susceptible to infection. They thrive in a varied diet rich in vitamins and minerals to maintain their color and health. Regular water changes and a good filtration system are vital to keep these goldfish healthy.
- Scientific Name: Carassius auratus
- Temperature: 16-22°C (60-72°F)
- pH: 6.0-8.0
- Adult Size: Up to 12 inches (30 cm)
- Diet: Omnivorous - should be fed a variety of high-quality flakes, pellets, and fresh vegetables
- Aquarium Size: Minimum 30 gallons for one, with additional space for more fish
- Compatibility: Social with other goldfish; avoid housing with competitive or nippy fish
The wen of the Red Oranda can limit its vision if overgrown and may require careful trimming. They are best kept with other Orandas or gentle goldfish that won't outcompete them for food or damage their delicate wens.