Red Cap Oranda
Red Cap Oranda
The Red Cap Oranda is a charming and popular variety of goldfish, easily recognized by its prominent raspberry-like growth known as a "wen" on the top of its head. This elegant feature is coupled with its deep-bodied shape and flowing finnage, making it a delightful addition to any freshwater ornamental pond or aquarium.
- Bright red wen contrasted with a pristine white body
- Graceful swimming style
- Can develop an impressive wen size that may require trimming
- Personable and can recognize their caretakers
Red Cap Orandas require clean, well-oxygenated water with a gentle flow. They thrive on a varied diet that includes both plants and proteins. To support wen growth and prevent infection, maintain high water quality with regular changes and avoid sharp decorations that may cause injury.
- Scientific Name: Carassius auratus
- Temperature: 16-22°C (60-72°F)
- pH: 6.0-8.0
- Adult Size: Up to 10 inches (25 cm)
- Diet: Varied diet; high-quality pellet or flake food supplemented with vegetables and occasional protein
- Aquarium Size: Minimum 20 gallons for one, with additional 10 gallons per additional fish
- Compatibility: Peaceful; best kept with other goldfish varieties of similar size and care requirements
The distinctive wen of the Red Cap Oranda will continue to grow throughout its life and may need professional trimming in some cases. They are social fish that benefit from being kept in pairs or groups, provided the tank is spacious enough to accommodate them.