The Bristlenose Pleco, known for its unique bushy nose and ability to thrive in a variety of aquarium conditions, is a favored choice among aquarists for algae control. Their hardy nature and compatibility with a wide range of tank mates make them a versatile addition to nearly any freshwater aquarium.
- Distinctive bristle-like appendages on the snout
- Efficient algae eater
- Does not grow as large as other plecostomus species
- Peaceful temperament, suitable for community tanks
How to Keep:
Best kept in tanks with plenty of hiding spaces provided by caves, driftwood, and dense vegetation. While they are less demanding in terms of water quality compared to other species, regular water changes and a balanced diet are essential for their well-being.
- Scientific Name: Ancistrus sp.
- Temperature: 20-27 °C
- pH Level: 6.5-7.5
- TDS: 100-300 ppm
- GH: 3-10
- KH: 3-10
- Lifespan: 5+ years
- Size: Up to 15 cm
- Diet: Omnivore - prefers algae and vegetable-based foods
- Breeding: Moderate - lays eggs in caves
- Care Level: Easy
They can vary in color and pattern, but all show the remarkable bristles that distinguish them from other species. These are tank-raised and adapted to aquarium life.